Inclusiveness@Work Business/Corporate Nominee: Level 3 Communications
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (now merged with CenturyLink), a Fortune 500 company, provided local national and global communications services to customers in more than 500 markets in over 60 countries. Level 3 followed two principles—embracing diverse cultures and backgrounds and seeking different perspectives—which help in the continuation of their commitment to respect, a Level 3 Core Value.
Level 3 believed diversity—of thought, backgrounds and experiences—affected all that they do. Ultimately, this inclusiveness provided a greater experience for their employees and customers. They embraced diverse cultures and backgrounds, and sought different perspectives in many ways, including:
- Their nearly 13,000 employees across six continents learned about and appreciate each other’s customs, holidays, local foods and country-specific facts via the company’s intranet.
- Nine Employee Resource Groups led the way for organic expansion of employee culture and contributed to workplace diversity. Members connected and shared with colleagues with similar interests and challenges, providing a sense of community and equality.
- Mentor-RINGs program, a mentoring circle, connected higher performing employees with more experienced Level 3 colleagues.
- Volunteers helped to create a pathway toward careers in science, technology, engineering and math for under-resourced, diverse students in Colorado. They helped design the curriculum; mentored and advised students; and hosted onsite job shadowing, gave campus tours, participated in expert panels and presented as guest lecturers.
- Offered unconscious bias training in 2016 because implicit or unconscious beliefs and attitudes can negatively affect professional relationships and impede development of the company’s inclusive culture.
- Actively identified, developed, and used a diverse supplier base including minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned, service disabled veteran-owned, HUBZone and 8(a) small business enterprises as the source of goods and services.
“Diversity and inclusion are a cornerstone of the Level 3 culture. We believe our business must be informed by diverse perspectives and a culture that values the varied backgrounds of our employees. With our unwavering commitment to a strong strategy of inclusion and respect, we believe we are well-positioned to live up to our vision: to be the trusted connection to the networked world.”- John Ryan, Chief Legal Officer
Share your thoughts on the nomination of Level 3 Communications, Inc. in the comments below. Please join us when the recipient of the Inclusiveness@Work Business/Corporate category is announced on February 10th at our annual Ball for All gala. Tickets and sponsorships are available on the CLI Website.